Utah Online offers the option to checkout a Chromebook to use for schooling at home. Before doing so, here are some basic things that you need to know:
- Computer-to-Student Ratio: One computer will be offered for every three children in a family who are enrolled in UOS. So if you have one to three children from your family enrolled in UOS, you can receive one computer. If you have four to six children in UOS, you can receive two computers and so on.
- Use Agreement: Students and their parents must read and agree to all pages of the 2016-2017 Utah Online School Computing Device Contract. This is a very important document that contains many answers to questions that you may have about this opportunity.
- Additional Policies: When you sign the contract, you are also agreeing to the district’s Bullying and Hazing Policy and the Technology Acceptable Use Policy.
- Computer Care Video: Another pre-requisite to checking out a Chromebook is that you must watch the online orientation video here: Video Link (Note: You will not be able to view this video on a Chromebook.)
- Chromebook Boxes: If you do decide to check out a Chromebook, you will be asked to keep the box that it comes in so you will have it available at the time of return.
- Pickup: The computers are available to pick up from your homeroom teacher. The signed Computing Device Contract will need to be filled out, signed, and given to your teacher at the time that you pick up the Chromebook.
- Support: Google has provided us with some support and FAQs for Chromebook on this webpage: Chromebook Support
- Returns: Once checked out, the Chromebook is yours to use as long as you are enrolled in the school. Upon withdrawal from Utah Online, the Chromebook will need to be returned to the school. The Chromebook can be returned directly to your UOS teacher or through the mail. Contact your teacher for instructions to return it by mail.
- Approved Apps: Apps need to be approved before they are downloaded on the Chromebooks. Click here to see a list of approved apps and also to request the approval of any additional apps: Approved Apps
If you have additional questions or concerns about this option, please contact your UOS teacher.